AdSense2

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sea Salt Caramel Brownies

I finally got around to making sea salt caramel brownies this weekend.

I've never made brownies from scratch and I've never made caramel ever.


Just for fun I decided to use coconut crystals instead of brown sugar, which melted up wonderfully... till I burnt it. It was my first time so I left it over the heat stirring it till I realized instead of bring to a boil, stir vigorously till thickens, it probably meant bring to a boil, remove from heat, stir vigorously till thickens.


I also overcooked the brownies...I couldn't tell they were done cause the caramel was all over and every time I dipped my knife in it came out liquidy (caramelly), they tasted amazing but not the fudgey, gooey, under-cooked-ness I love.


So I tried again.


This time I used the simpler recipe. It wasn't until the brownie batter is done when I realize that the recipe did not call for any eggs...confusion ensues, but I baked em on up any ways and it was super late so I decided to let them cool overnight and all day today so I will try them when I get home and let you know how that worked out, the website I got the recipe off of has a few different versions, one of them vegan, I used the vegan brownie recipe. Which would be great, if I were vegan. The batter tasted AMAZING though, and technically there would be nothing wrong with eating all of it like that, if that's what you wanted to do, since there are no raw eggs in it. That must be how they make brownie batter ice cream, or cookie dough treats, just leave out the egg.


This time I under heated the caramel in my attempt to not burn it so it was a lil granually at the end, I tried to go back and melt it with a higher heat but the graininess didn't completely go away.


I will perfect these brownies, it's just going to take me a few tries :)


Find the recipe here:


http://www.olivia-rae.com/2010/08/caramel-sea-salt-brownies-revised.html

No comments:

Post a Comment